This week has seen a lot of discussion about a new diet book which targets girls ages 6-12. After the initial outbreak of criticism, the author appeared on several talk shows defending his book as “empowering.” I spoke on the news about it Thursday.
I have to admit I’ve been wrestling with conflicting feelings about this. On one hand, I want to have the guy banned from Amazon and every other bookseller. His complete ignorance of the damaging and diminishing effect of diets on young women is simply deplorable.
On the other hand, we live in a country where we enjoy freedom of speech.
And yet, we have laws and policies that protect children from harm. And this is harmful.
To complicate matters further, as a blogger, do I speak up and risk giving him more exposure, or do I remain silent?
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- It’s about taking charge. With lifestyle change, we make powerful decisions and don’t let anyone get in the way... http://t.co/kbx9QvnWGc 10:35:03 AM February 27, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I wasn’t hurt by either person, but I did feel a sadness. Sometimes, humans are just so… inhumane. To... http://t.co/uAeUvKcMTD 10:25:02 AM February 26, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New blog post: your brain on crack (or bad diet)! http://t.co/ElEI9PiFJR http://t.co/X6vYA4Lwbt 11:16:49 AM February 25, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Stop waiting for happiness. #findyourhappiness #weightloss http://t.co/8mEMT6JHzV http://t.co/4hBt2lK4Ex 10:10:03 AM February 25, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The body may need to “chill” and get its bearings. It may need to trust we are not going to starve and deprive... http://t.co/WB2qsBFSVQ 10:25:03 AM February 23, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite