This week has seen a lot of discussion about a new diet book which targets girls ages 6-12. After the initial outbreak of criticism, the author appeared on several talk shows defending his book as “empowering.” I spoke on the news about it Thursday.
I have to admit I’ve been wrestling with conflicting feelings about this. On one hand, I want to have the guy banned from Amazon and every other bookseller. His complete ignorance of the damaging and diminishing effect of diets on young women is simply deplorable.
On the other hand, we live in a country where we enjoy freedom of speech.
And yet, we have laws and policies that protect children from harm. And this is harmful.
To complicate matters further, as a blogger, do I speak up and risk giving him more exposure, or do I remain silent?
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- Many people put off #Happiness until they're thin. #20 on this list. Why this is dangerous...... http://t.co/jfmJMqr7Og about 17 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- enLIGHTen Your Life™ http://t.co/D9zC4CYYtv 05:06:05 PM January 26, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Self-love is a journey. Forget ego. #LoveYourselfFirst #PermanentWeightLoss This is what I mean...... http://t.co/6Ge1ktGMzL 10:25:03 AM January 26, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- We all know how to do this... if we all stop and pay attention. #HealthyEating #LoseWeightPermanently... http://t.co/6V84iOH5Sy 10:20:03 AM January 23, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- And, just like that, what appeared to be a curse or the biggest problem in the world BECAME MY PATH.... http://t.co/yIdE1jbga8 10:35:03 AM January 21, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite