This week has seen a lot of discussion about a new diet book which targets girls ages 6-12. After the initial outbreak of criticism, the author appeared on several talk shows defending his book as “empowering.” I spoke on the news about it Thursday.
I have to admit I’ve been wrestling with conflicting feelings about this. On one hand, I want to have the guy banned from Amazon and every other bookseller. His complete ignorance of the damaging and diminishing effect of diets on young women is simply deplorable.
On the other hand, we live in a country where we enjoy freedom of speech.
And yet, we have laws and policies that protect children from harm. And this is harmful.
To complicate matters further, as a blogger, do I speak up and risk giving him more exposure, or do I remain silent?
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- Losing weight is not hard, complicated or impossible.Getting yourself to do it might be.... https://t.co/0T9FjShDWR about 3 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- When I was serious, I didn't tell a soul. #lifestylechange https://t.co/a8e4KFN6Ho https://t.co/1HryB4XjAp 10:34:46 AM January 23, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Find more mindfulness every day... And even more peace in you #weightloss journey. https://t.co/wm4Ah6tmyu 09:46:10 AM January 20, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Here are your 9 Tips to Go BEYOND temporary #WeightLoss. Get #Results NOW! Check it out here!... https://t.co/zdPbNTfpPB 11:45:06 AM January 19, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Do you desire a true #Lifestyle change? Achieve a life of amazing #health and #vitality. Begin owning your health... https://t.co/Hs4jDA29Hy 10:47:07 AM January 19, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite