This week has seen a lot of discussion about a new diet book which targets girls ages 6-12. After the initial outbreak of criticism, the author appeared on several talk shows defending his book as “empowering.” I spoke on the news about it Thursday.
I have to admit I’ve been wrestling with conflicting feelings about this. On one hand, I want to have the guy banned from Amazon and every other bookseller. His complete ignorance of the damaging and diminishing effect of diets on young women is simply deplorable.
On the other hand, we live in a country where we enjoy freedom of speech.
And yet, we have laws and policies that protect children from harm. And this is harmful.
To complicate matters further, as a blogger, do I speak up and risk giving him more exposure, or do I remain silent?
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- I'm writing a response to this article which details our current Diet Mentality, which biologically and mentally... http://t.co/fckIirZlVM about 14 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Harsh restrictions give the body the message that it is something to be “whipped” into shape, changed, altered,... http://t.co/27bRT1sztn 09:20:04 AM August 31, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The #body manufactures amazing amounts of fuel for us to do the things we love to do in life... Why I loved... http://t.co/cua3e9UCFe 09:15:02 AM August 28, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- “Don’t try to win over the haters. You are not a Jackass Whisperer.” - Scott Stratton 07:46:30 PM August 24, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Discover your #LifePurpose! This is the BIG reason why... http://t.co/xEAAOQbQao http://t.co/S45624FlP0 09:25:03 AM August 24, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite