This week has seen a lot of discussion about a new diet book which targets girls ages 6-12. After the initial outbreak of criticism, the author appeared on several talk shows defending his book as “empowering.” I spoke on the news about it Thursday.
I have to admit I’ve been wrestling with conflicting feelings about this. On one hand, I want to have the guy banned from Amazon and every other bookseller. His complete ignorance of the damaging and diminishing effect of diets on young women is simply deplorable.
On the other hand, we live in a country where we enjoy freedom of speech.
And yet, we have laws and policies that protect children from harm. And this is harmful.
To complicate matters further, as a blogger, do I speak up and risk giving him more exposure, or do I remain silent?
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- As a veteran of long-term sustained weight loss and a yoga devotee for eight years, here’s my perspective on yoga... http://t.co/ty7yXkALon about 16 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- One of the MOST important factors for Permanent Weightloss... #loseweight #permanentweightloss What's the other... http://t.co/bYgguJDSWd 05:25:03 AM September 15, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- There's a yearning greater than weight loss. That is where you can find your freedom. Learn more about this at... http://t.co/uvnw1Gj4K2 07:25:02 AM September 12, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- "Cease the Violence!" This is one of the primary causes of weight re-gain... do you do it to yourself? Download... http://t.co/cRfywndEIe 07:25:03 AM September 11, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Get off the roller coaster and get on the driver's seat... take control back. Find out how at...... http://t.co/05BnMzGGlA 07:25:03 AM September 10, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite