This week has seen a lot of discussion about a new diet book which targets girls ages 6-12. After the initial outbreak of criticism, the author appeared on several talk shows defending his book as “empowering.” I spoke on the news about it Thursday.
I have to admit I’ve been wrestling with conflicting feelings about this. On one hand, I want to have the guy banned from Amazon and every other bookseller. His complete ignorance of the damaging and diminishing effect of diets on young women is simply deplorable.
On the other hand, we live in a country where we enjoy freedom of speech.
And yet, we have laws and policies that protect children from harm. And this is harmful.
To complicate matters further, as a blogger, do I speak up and risk giving him more exposure, or do I remain silent?
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- Do you understand how energy flows and how it can affect your attitude? New blog post on staying positive during... http://t.co/cSkoj4exxX 04:33:58 PM July 27, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Your body is your home, the only home you will ever know. It makes every action, pleasure and fulfilling moment... http://t.co/LHlakJsLCo 02:45:48 PM July 25, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- At the moment you eat, you either have physical hunger or physical desire. Only one calls for food. 08:10:25 AM July 23, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- What you are is God’s gift to you; what you do with yourself is your gift to God -- Danish proverb 07:10:08 PM July 22, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- It takes courage to walk through life hand-in-hand with yourself, instead of your addiction. 06:38:17 PM July 19, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite