This week has seen a lot of discussion about a new diet book which targets girls ages 6-12. After the initial outbreak of criticism, the author appeared on several talk shows defending his book as “empowering.” I spoke on the news about it Thursday.
I have to admit I’ve been wrestling with conflicting feelings about this. On one hand, I want to have the guy banned from Amazon and every other bookseller. His complete ignorance of the damaging and diminishing effect of diets on young women is simply deplorable.
On the other hand, we live in a country where we enjoy freedom of speech.
And yet, we have laws and policies that protect children from harm. And this is harmful.
To complicate matters further, as a blogger, do I speak up and risk giving him more exposure, or do I remain silent?
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- How #change happens. http://t.co/V1OE75bHH4 http://t.co/mHyHg5gOEc about 8 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- It's #16 - Stop Pleasing... #permanentweightloss http://t.co/1hjjfmJnjY http://t.co/5MWsg5kTml 09:20:03 AM April 22, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- This probably happens more often than we realize, attributed to heart attack...... http://t.co/t7A0TGlVoI 09:25:58 PM April 21, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Let go, even if you have to work really hard to do so, and move on. #letgo... http://t.co/rUAwOetIn8 09:54:44 AM April 20, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- For years, I have asked my clients to avoid the (un)kind bars - sort of like Snickers putting "healthy" and... http://t.co/fC9bwwBZZa 01:55:55 PM April 17, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite