This week has seen a lot of discussion about a new diet book which targets girls ages 6-12. After the initial outbreak of criticism, the author appeared on several talk shows defending his book as “empowering.” I spoke on the news about it Thursday.
I have to admit I’ve been wrestling with conflicting feelings about this. On one hand, I want to have the guy banned from Amazon and every other bookseller. His complete ignorance of the damaging and diminishing effect of diets on young women is simply deplorable.
On the other hand, we live in a country where we enjoy freedom of speech.
And yet, we have laws and policies that protect children from harm. And this is harmful.
To complicate matters further, as a blogger, do I speak up and risk giving him more exposure, or do I remain silent?
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- The days I do not love, I am intensely aware I am out of balance and need to get back in love. #SelfLove What... http://t.co/NyI3f36cuZ about 2 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Do you have a Starbucks-meltdown-moment in your history? http://t.co/eFiuX7VBJH http://t.co/v8o0gv8iPE about 22 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Candice Bergen sounds healthy in her attitude, and calls out the vomiters of Hollywood - and I wouldn't call her... http://t.co/BqCe97oCUH 08:54:25 AM March 26, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Discover more about the Sweet Spot. #honoryourself http://t.co/7x8ohx9oWn http://t.co/839Olj8tDn 10:20:02 AM March 25, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Your body is the only home you will ever know. It’s your shelter, your structure, your bedrock... the foundation... http://t.co/VnnfFq3yap 10:25:02 AM March 23, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite