This week has seen a lot of discussion about a new diet book which targets girls ages 6-12. After the initial outbreak of criticism, the author appeared on several talk shows defending his book as “empowering.” I spoke on the news about it Thursday.
I have to admit I’ve been wrestling with conflicting feelings about this. On one hand, I want to have the guy banned from Amazon and every other bookseller. His complete ignorance of the damaging and diminishing effect of diets on young women is simply deplorable.
On the other hand, we live in a country where we enjoy freedom of speech.
And yet, we have laws and policies that protect children from harm. And this is harmful.
To complicate matters further, as a blogger, do I speak up and risk giving him more exposure, or do I remain silent?
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- It's a Decision you make every day. #loseweight #resultsorexcuses http://t.co/MB3Rxn1Dnh about 10 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Keep your mind strong. Feed it positive things. #loseweight #mindovermatter http://t.co/pkga8VnkQV 05:16:29 PM September 30, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Addiction can’t be defined as simply a disease or any sort of moral issue. It’s emotional. And it’s deeply... http://t.co/BZb1D48qGo 09:25:03 AM September 30, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Keep your mind strong. Feed it positive things. #loseweight #mindovermatter http://t.co/hNp5HS6H0x 09:25:03 AM September 29, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Don't give away your POWER by buying into this myth... #healthylife #loseweightpermanently What is it? ...... http://t.co/9T7Zm89yll 09:25:03 AM September 26, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite