This week has seen a lot of discussion about a new diet book which targets girls ages 6-12. After the initial outbreak of criticism, the author appeared on several talk shows defending his book as “empowering.” I spoke on the news about it Thursday.
I have to admit I’ve been wrestling with conflicting feelings about this. On one hand, I want to have the guy banned from Amazon and every other bookseller. His complete ignorance of the damaging and diminishing effect of diets on young women is simply deplorable.
On the other hand, we live in a country where we enjoy freedom of speech.
And yet, we have laws and policies that protect children from harm. And this is harmful.
To complicate matters further, as a blogger, do I speak up and risk giving him more exposure, or do I remain silent?
I’m back from vacation. It was wonderful to take a break from routine. It was also wonderful to get emails from my readers who missed me!
We visited Washington DC and saw many fantastic sights, museums and monuments.
But we also visited with family, where we met my cousin’s son’s little girl, Nadia, for the first time. She’s two and she’s amazing! Most babies are imaginative and creative and full of wonder – and she is all those things – before the world encourages them to drift away to more concrete “realities.”
Being a cowgirl myself, I brought her new purple cowgirl boots. She loved them! Continue reading »
Continue reading »
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- We may regret relationship and career decisions, but I've never had a client return to me years later and say... http://t.co/kW2oFeFpDs about 8 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Ten MORE Very Important Things to STOP if You Want #PermanentWeightLoss #YouAreWorthIt... http://t.co/ZOFXXB9LlW about 13 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- By the age of three, we have absorbed 320,000 programs on why we won't succeed in life. Changing this deep level... http://t.co/glt5uG57np 03:55:29 PM March 31, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Victim energy will shut you down! Are you taking care NOT to entertain excuses, blame and shame? 04:06:14 PM March 30, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Learn to cultivate and maintain your positivity. #LoveYourself #PermanentWeightLoss Here's how...... http://t.co/Nf26vKv3qk 09:20:03 AM March 30, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite