This week has seen a lot of discussion about a new diet book which targets girls ages 6-12. After the initial outbreak of criticism, the author appeared on several talk shows defending his book as “empowering.” I spoke on the news about it Thursday.
I have to admit I’ve been wrestling with conflicting feelings about this. On one hand, I want to have the guy banned from Amazon and every other bookseller. His complete ignorance of the damaging and diminishing effect of diets on young women is simply deplorable.
On the other hand, we live in a country where we enjoy freedom of speech.
And yet, we have laws and policies that protect children from harm. And this is harmful.
To complicate matters further, as a blogger, do I speak up and risk giving him more exposure, or do I remain silent?
I’m back from vacation. It was wonderful to take a break from routine. It was also wonderful to get emails from my readers who missed me!
We visited Washington DC and saw many fantastic sights, museums and monuments.
But we also visited with family, where we met my cousin’s son’s little girl, Nadia, for the first time. She’s two and she’s amazing! Most babies are imaginative and creative and full of wonder – and she is all those things – before the world encourages them to drift away to more concrete “realities.”
Being a cowgirl myself, I brought her new purple cowgirl boots. She loved them! Continue reading »
Continue reading »
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- We're not meant to be perfect people, we are to be fulfilled. #perfectionism #healthyweightloss http://t.co/AwEKfYKQD9 about 10 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- One of the most painful aspects of weight loss is weight regain. Watch this video where actor, Kevin James... http://t.co/jKoK1O38Py 09:25:03 AM October 21, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I wish you all the Wealth in life! #healthylifestyles #permanentweightloss http://t.co/5FwFTjroQR 09:25:02 AM October 20, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Figure out what’s more important – eating to avoid, stuff and medicate, or living mindfully. 01:54:56 PM October 19, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Stop... in the name of LOVE! #healthyeating #permanentweightloss http://t.co/5HQiNLN6hV 06:25:02 AM October 17, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite