This week has seen a lot of discussion about a new diet book which targets girls ages 6-12. After the initial outbreak of criticism, the author appeared on several talk shows defending his book as “empowering.” I spoke on the news about it Thursday.
I have to admit I’ve been wrestling with conflicting feelings about this. On one hand, I want to have the guy banned from Amazon and every other bookseller. His complete ignorance of the damaging and diminishing effect of diets on young women is simply deplorable.
On the other hand, we live in a country where we enjoy freedom of speech.
And yet, we have laws and policies that protect children from harm. And this is harmful.
To complicate matters further, as a blogger, do I speak up and risk giving him more exposure, or do I remain silent?
I’m back from vacation. It was wonderful to take a break from routine. It was also wonderful to get emails from my readers who missed me!
We visited Washington DC and saw many fantastic sights, museums and monuments.
But we also visited with family, where we met my cousin’s son’s little girl, Nadia, for the first time. She’s two and she’s amazing! Most babies are imaginative and creative and full of wonder – and she is all those things – before the world encourages them to drift away to more concrete “realities.”
Being a cowgirl myself, I brought her new purple cowgirl boots. She loved them! Continue reading »
Continue reading »
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- Diet mentality is what makes fat. It's the off/on, all-or-nothing approach to food, movement and self-love. about 9 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Ever feel it's come to this? http://t.co/vuYDj6gxSZ 02:04:06 PM July 31, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Do you understand how energy flows and how it can affect your attitude? New blog post on staying positive during... http://t.co/cSkoj4exxX 04:33:58 PM July 27, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Your body is your home, the only home you will ever know. It makes every action, pleasure and fulfilling moment... http://t.co/LHlakJsLCo 02:45:48 PM July 25, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- At the moment you eat, you either have physical hunger or physical desire. Only one calls for food. 08:10:25 AM July 23, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite