This week has seen a lot of discussion about a new diet book which targets girls ages 6-12. After the initial outbreak of criticism, the author appeared on several talk shows defending his book as “empowering.” I spoke on the news about it Thursday.
I have to admit I’ve been wrestling with conflicting feelings about this. On one hand, I want to have the guy banned from Amazon and every other bookseller. His complete ignorance of the damaging and diminishing effect of diets on young women is simply deplorable.
On the other hand, we live in a country where we enjoy freedom of speech.
And yet, we have laws and policies that protect children from harm. And this is harmful.
To complicate matters further, as a blogger, do I speak up and risk giving him more exposure, or do I remain silent?
I’m back from vacation. It was wonderful to take a break from routine. It was also wonderful to get emails from my readers who missed me!
We visited Washington DC and saw many fantastic sights, museums and monuments.
But we also visited with family, where we met my cousin’s son’s little girl, Nadia, for the first time. She’s two and she’s amazing! Most babies are imaginative and creative and full of wonder – and she is all those things – before the world encourages them to drift away to more concrete “realities.”
Being a cowgirl myself, I brought her new purple cowgirl boots. She loved them! Continue reading »
Continue reading »
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- There is no love if you don't love yourself, and there's no love if you do not value yourself. There is no love... http://t.co/vBqFfeyFq9 03:40:45 PM November 24, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- New blog post: Deeper lessons from long-term weight loss. http://t.co/IsGABl4UiX http://t.co/EZuIyctNzf 10:54:30 AM November 24, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The journey to permanent weight loss is a spiritual journey. #stephencovey #permanentweightloss http://t.co/LwxdlimOnH 10:35:03 AM November 24, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Before you make that decision, take a moment to think what you are trading. #healthychoices #loveyourself http://t.co/vQNgkYmaeC 10:25:02 AM November 21, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Get your Free Download to achieve #PermanentWeighloss for REAL! "Get Ready for Permanent Weight Loss! --- 4... http://t.co/DEPIlhLaid 10:40:02 PM November 20, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite