This week has seen a lot of discussion about a new diet book which targets girls ages 6-12. After the initial outbreak of criticism, the author appeared on several talk shows defending his book as “empowering.” I spoke on the news about it Thursday.
I have to admit I’ve been wrestling with conflicting feelings about this. On one hand, I want to have the guy banned from Amazon and every other bookseller. His complete ignorance of the damaging and diminishing effect of diets on young women is simply deplorable.
On the other hand, we live in a country where we enjoy freedom of speech.
And yet, we have laws and policies that protect children from harm. And this is harmful.
To complicate matters further, as a blogger, do I speak up and risk giving him more exposure, or do I remain silent?
I’m back from vacation. It was wonderful to take a break from routine. It was also wonderful to get emails from my readers who missed me!
We visited Washington DC and saw many fantastic sights, museums and monuments.
But we also visited with family, where we met my cousin’s son’s little girl, Nadia, for the first time. She’s two and she’s amazing! Most babies are imaginative and creative and full of wonder – and she is all those things – before the world encourages them to drift away to more concrete “realities.”
Being a cowgirl myself, I brought her new purple cowgirl boots. She loved them! Continue reading »
Continue reading »
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- A new challenge, just in time for the weekend: http://t.co/m3n4LRMufD http://t.co/8LH44VCXX1 about 10 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Sometimes it's a challenge to always stay positive during CHANGE...so... What could you do with the negative... http://t.co/PZYvuig9u9 about 20 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- To lose weight and keep weight off, we only need to TRUST OURSELVES. Find out WHY trust is important in... http://t.co/nG8VxEQV7r 07:20:03 AM August 21, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Yes, even fat is good, in legitimate portions, because it helps the brain work and creates satisfaction. Learn... http://t.co/fR67yjaENX 07:20:04 AM August 20, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Behabits. Do you have any? How are they keeping you from living to your fullest? Find out at... http://t.co/jHdhPlz1Mi 07:20:03 AM August 19, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite