If you read my blog often, you know that I have lost substantial weight and kept it off since the year 2000. In my seminars and workshops, where I teach the principles of permanent weight loss, I often talk about the two most important factors to lifestyle change that result in permanent weight loss:
That’s how you build lifestyle change. It doesn’t come with a diet, or we’d all be thin. Consistency is how you show up in your life, every day. It’s about the quality of the effort.
Consistency is not about “cheat days” or accepting a binge because it’s been a rough week or we got rejected by someone or something. Consistency is about integrity and owning our choices, for good. It’s about busting up excess weight with good behavior with food and exercise executed on a daily basis.
Persistence is key to separating permanent weight loss from yo-yo diet/regain. If we give up, we lose. Period. End of story. Yes, it matters if you “get back on the wagon.” But, why adopt the wagon theory at all?
You can ask Oprah how well the wagon has served her; she’s famous for her quote about it. I don’t believe in the wagon. There is no “on” or “off” for me. There is just life and how I choose to live it.
I recently saw a quote that reminded me of this:
“Persistence is your measure of your
belief in yourself.” ~Brian Tracy
I have to say, I never thought about persistence in quite this way. I love the concept of persistence and I hone and sharpen my persistence all the time.
But, believing in myself?
Well, isn’t it?
If we believe in ourselves, we don’t give up. We don’t throw away days. We don’t go backwards. We don’t give up on ourselves. Ever.
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- By the age of three, we have absorbed 320,000 programs on why we won't succeed in life. Changing this deep level... http://t.co/glt5uG57np about 16 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Victim energy will shut you down! Are you taking care NOT to entertain excuses, blame and shame? 04:06:14 PM March 30, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Learn to cultivate and maintain your positivity. #LoveYourself #PermanentWeightLoss Here's how...... http://t.co/Nf26vKv3qk 09:20:03 AM March 30, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The days I do not love, I am intensely aware I am out of balance and need to get back in love. #SelfLove What... http://t.co/NyI3f36cuZ 10:15:02 AM March 27, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Do you have a Starbucks-meltdown-moment in your history? http://t.co/eFiuX7VBJH http://t.co/v8o0gv8iPE 02:47:20 PM March 26, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite