If you read my blog often, you know that I have lost substantial weight and kept it off since the year 2000. In my seminars and workshops, where I teach the principles of permanent weight loss, I often talk about the two most important factors to lifestyle change that result in permanent weight loss:
That’s how you build lifestyle change. It doesn’t come with a diet, or we’d all be thin. Consistency is how you show up in your life, every day. It’s about the quality of the effort.
Consistency is not about “cheat days” or accepting a binge because it’s been a rough week or we got rejected by someone or something. Consistency is about integrity and owning our choices, for good. It’s about busting up excess weight with good behavior with food and exercise executed on a daily basis.
Persistence is key to separating permanent weight loss from yo-yo diet/regain. If we give up, we lose. Period. End of story. Yes, it matters if you “get back on the wagon.” But, why adopt the wagon theory at all?
You can ask Oprah how well the wagon has served her; she’s famous for her quote about it. I don’t believe in the wagon. There is no “on” or “off” for me. There is just life and how I choose to live it.
I recently saw a quote that reminded me of this:
“Persistence is your measure of your
belief in yourself.” ~Brian Tracy
I have to say, I never thought about persistence in quite this way. I love the concept of persistence and I hone and sharpen my persistence all the time.
But, believing in myself?
Well, isn’t it?
If we believe in ourselves, we don’t give up. We don’t throw away days. We don’t go backwards. We don’t give up on ourselves. Ever.
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- Where are your danger zones and where do you cross the line into “overloaded”? What's your siren?....... http://t.co/a2SAAlltaN about 2 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Giving ourselves the time necessary to break the deeper engrained behaviors requires patience... Learn more...... http://t.co/AbZ76fay7E 05:25:03 AM September 17, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- As a veteran of long-term sustained weight loss and a yoga devotee for eight years, here’s my perspective on yoga... http://t.co/ty7yXkALon 05:25:03 AM September 16, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- One of the MOST important factors for Permanent Weightloss... #loseweight #permanentweightloss What's the other... http://t.co/bYgguJDSWd 05:25:03 AM September 15, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- There's a yearning greater than weight loss. That is where you can find your freedom. Learn more about this at... http://t.co/uvnw1Gj4K2 07:25:02 AM September 12, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite