If you read my blog often, you know that I have lost substantial weight and kept it off since the year 2000. In my seminars and workshops, where I teach the principles of permanent weight loss, I often talk about the two most important factors to lifestyle change that result in permanent weight loss:
That’s how you build lifestyle change. It doesn’t come with a diet, or we’d all be thin. Consistency is how you show up in your life, every day. It’s about the quality of the effort.
Consistency is not about “cheat days” or accepting a binge because it’s been a rough week or we got rejected by someone or something. Consistency is about integrity and owning our choices, for good. It’s about busting up excess weight with good behavior with food and exercise executed on a daily basis.
Persistence is key to separating permanent weight loss from yo-yo diet/regain. If we give up, we lose. Period. End of story. Yes, it matters if you “get back on the wagon.” But, why adopt the wagon theory at all?
You can ask Oprah how well the wagon has served her; she’s famous for her quote about it. I don’t believe in the wagon. There is no “on” or “off” for me. There is just life and how I choose to live it.
I recently saw a quote that reminded me of this:
“Persistence is your measure of your
belief in yourself.” ~Brian Tracy
I have to say, I never thought about persistence in quite this way. I love the concept of persistence and I hone and sharpen my persistence all the time.
But, believing in myself?
Well, isn’t it?
If we believe in ourselves, we don’t give up. We don’t throw away days. We don’t go backwards. We don’t give up on ourselves. Ever.
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- That sound you hear is me barfing upon reading this story. "Cancer is our Angelina Jolie. We could sell that show... http://t.co/rwGDMU9qku 01:59:15 PM December 20, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- These are changes we can all make, no matter what the scale says, and no matter what you want it to say in the... http://t.co/r4kqRErtUE 10:25:03 AM December 19, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Develop habits that serve THIN, instead of making FAT. #healthyeating #permanentweightloss Here are the top... http://t.co/TokjsOvGUn 10:25:03 AM December 17, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Make 2015 the year of positive healthy change and permanent weight loss! You can save $300 by typing EARLYBIRD... http://t.co/1CiPxF6go2 12:31:59 PM December 16, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- How many times have you heard “It’s great you lost 30 lbs. but Janie lost 50!” #stopcomparing... http://t.co/SzJSUncTnM 10:25:03 AM December 15, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite