I just loved this story about the tiniest member of our family, Nadia. She’s three and you might remember her from this post:
Nadia’s mom recently reported on facebook that, after reading a bedtime book with Nadia, she told her daughter, “Goodnight. I love you.”
“Goodnight. I love myself, too.”
What a story! How many of us had the “love” beat out of us (metaphorically of course) by our parents when we exhibited self-love as children?
In my life, I was torn down whenever I was proud of my accomplishments, no matter how small. My father belittled my results or accomplishments. I remember coming home with all As except for one B on my report card and getting a VERY LONG lecture about how disappointed he was and how my stupidity was showing.
My mother used a different approach. She would make fun of me. The same report card brought a remark of “You think you’re so smart. You don’t know anything!” If I was hanging out with friends, she would imitate our giggling or laughing and tell us how silly we were. If I was dating someone, she’d find something wrong with the guy and make fun of him. Humiliation was her weapon!
It took a lot of work to reprogram the negative messages about self-love in my life.
I just love that Nadia GETS IT! And I know, with the support of her parents, she’ll keep it!
What are the messages about self-love you received in your life?
How did they affect you?
What would happen if you said “I love myself, too” each night before you went to sleep?
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- The days I do not love, I am intensely aware I am out of balance and need to get back in love. #SelfLove What... http://t.co/NyI3f36cuZ 10:15:02 AM March 27, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Do you have a Starbucks-meltdown-moment in your history? http://t.co/eFiuX7VBJH http://t.co/v8o0gv8iPE 02:47:20 PM March 26, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Candice Bergen sounds healthy in her attitude, and calls out the vomiters of Hollywood - and I wouldn't call her... http://t.co/BqCe97oCUH 08:54:25 AM March 26, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Discover more about the Sweet Spot. #honoryourself http://t.co/7x8ohx9oWn http://t.co/839Olj8tDn 10:20:02 AM March 25, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Your body is the only home you will ever know. It’s your shelter, your structure, your bedrock... the foundation... http://t.co/VnnfFq3yap 10:25:02 AM March 23, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite