I just loved this story about the tiniest member of our family, Nadia. She’s three and you might remember her from this post:
Nadia’s mom recently reported on facebook that, after reading a bedtime book with Nadia, she told her daughter, “Goodnight. I love you.”
“Goodnight. I love myself, too.”
What a story! How many of us had the “love” beat out of us (metaphorically of course) by our parents when we exhibited self-love as children?
In my life, I was torn down whenever I was proud of my accomplishments, no matter how small. My father belittled my results or accomplishments. I remember coming home with all As except for one B on my report card and getting a VERY LONG lecture about how disappointed he was and how my stupidity was showing.
My mother used a different approach. She would make fun of me. The same report card brought a remark of “You think you’re so smart. You don’t know anything!” If I was hanging out with friends, she would imitate our giggling or laughing and tell us how silly we were. If I was dating someone, she’d find something wrong with the guy and make fun of him. Humiliation was her weapon!
It took a lot of work to reprogram the negative messages about self-love in my life.
I just love that Nadia GETS IT! And I know, with the support of her parents, she’ll keep it!
What are the messages about self-love you received in your life?
How did they affect you?
What would happen if you said “I love myself, too” each night before you went to sleep?
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- FREE Class for #permanentweightloss with America's Weight Loss Catalyst! 4 Vital Steps to Prepare for REAL... https://t.co/6rGLeekLdI about 22 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Self-love is Job #1. #selfworth #selflove Find out the REAL reason why... https://t.co/Jufg6JxWHW https://t.co/2cF1elPvz3 08:42:02 AM November 25, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- A whirlwind of #positiveenergy and personality. She owns her #body, every inch of it... #RebelWilson... https://t.co/IHWEfOmSRc 08:25:02 AM November 23, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Why We Don’t Say #NO Does it seem hard for you? Here's why... https://t.co/r7knVL2rSh https://t.co/ZO7EBwJQTX 08:36:03 AM November 20, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- LOVE yourself first. #ahealthyyou #permanentweightloss https://t.co/yXijrlCtt5 08:45:02 AM November 18, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite