I just loved this story about the tiniest member of our family, Nadia. She’s three and you might remember her from this post:
Nadia’s mom recently reported on facebook that, after reading a bedtime book with Nadia, she told her daughter, “Goodnight. I love you.”
“Goodnight. I love myself, too.”
What a story! How many of us had the “love” beat out of us (metaphorically of course) by our parents when we exhibited self-love as children?
In my life, I was torn down whenever I was proud of my accomplishments, no matter how small. My father belittled my results or accomplishments. I remember coming home with all As except for one B on my report card and getting a VERY LONG lecture about how disappointed he was and how my stupidity was showing.
My mother used a different approach. She would make fun of me. The same report card brought a remark of “You think you’re so smart. You don’t know anything!” If I was hanging out with friends, she would imitate our giggling or laughing and tell us how silly we were. If I was dating someone, she’d find something wrong with the guy and make fun of him. Humiliation was her weapon!
It took a lot of work to reprogram the negative messages about self-love in my life.
I just love that Nadia GETS IT! And I know, with the support of her parents, she’ll keep it!
What are the messages about self-love you received in your life?
How did they affect you?
What would happen if you said “I love myself, too” each night before you went to sleep?
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- We all know how to do this... if we all stop and pay attention. #HealthyEating #LoseWeightPermanently... http://t.co/6V84iOH5Sy 10:20:03 AM January 23, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- And, just like that, what appeared to be a curse or the biggest problem in the world BECAME MY PATH.... http://t.co/yIdE1jbga8 10:35:03 AM January 21, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- It’s simply not true that you can be healthy at ANY size. #medical #healthyweight So, what’s the medical... http://t.co/TTvbTxDyjx 10:15:02 AM January 20, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Many people thought I was exaggerating about the danger to "The Biggest Loser" contestants... uh, no.... http://t.co/jjuCBAATnH 04:05:19 PM January 19, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- As I see my life and direction becoming simpler, I like the “love approach” more and more... #LoveYourselfFirst... http://t.co/D5ZwrWd4J1 10:20:02 AM January 19, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite