I just loved this story about the tiniest member of our family, Nadia. She’s three and you might remember her from this post:
Nadia’s mom recently reported on facebook that, after reading a bedtime book with Nadia, she told her daughter, “Goodnight. I love you.”
“Goodnight. I love myself, too.”
What a story! How many of us had the “love” beat out of us (metaphorically of course) by our parents when we exhibited self-love as children?
In my life, I was torn down whenever I was proud of my accomplishments, no matter how small. My father belittled my results or accomplishments. I remember coming home with all As except for one B on my report card and getting a VERY LONG lecture about how disappointed he was and how my stupidity was showing.
My mother used a different approach. She would make fun of me. The same report card brought a remark of “You think you’re so smart. You don’t know anything!” If I was hanging out with friends, she would imitate our giggling or laughing and tell us how silly we were. If I was dating someone, she’d find something wrong with the guy and make fun of him. Humiliation was her weapon!
It took a lot of work to reprogram the negative messages about self-love in my life.
I just love that Nadia GETS IT! And I know, with the support of her parents, she’ll keep it!
What are the messages about self-love you received in your life?
How did they affect you?
What would happen if you said “I love myself, too” each night before you went to sleep?
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- We all know how to do this, if we stop and pay attention. We know how to treat ourselves with dignity.... http://t.co/7yfoa280IS 07:25:03 AM August 29, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- No. 2: Stop comparing! Comparison is unloving and unproductive. #permanentweightloss Find out the other 10... http://t.co/huQUbnJkvv 07:05:02 AM August 28, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The first key is knowing and understanding how our energy runs, how it influences actions, and how to attain... http://t.co/OaU4qHbQOo 07:25:04 AM August 27, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- When I look back at my weight loss... I see that what I ate was much less important than what was going on in my... http://t.co/hZrSUnPDqO 07:05:03 AM August 26, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Take a deep breath. There is only NOW... make the right decision for yourself at this moment. #liveinthenow... http://t.co/YShjMi8uj2 07:25:03 AM August 25, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite