I just loved this story about the tiniest member of our family, Nadia. She’s three and you might remember her from this post:
Nadia’s mom recently reported on facebook that, after reading a bedtime book with Nadia, she told her daughter, “Goodnight. I love you.”
“Goodnight. I love myself, too.”
What a story! How many of us had the “love” beat out of us (metaphorically of course) by our parents when we exhibited self-love as children?
In my life, I was torn down whenever I was proud of my accomplishments, no matter how small. My father belittled my results or accomplishments. I remember coming home with all As except for one B on my report card and getting a VERY LONG lecture about how disappointed he was and how my stupidity was showing.
My mother used a different approach. She would make fun of me. The same report card brought a remark of “You think you’re so smart. You don’t know anything!” If I was hanging out with friends, she would imitate our giggling or laughing and tell us how silly we were. If I was dating someone, she’d find something wrong with the guy and make fun of him. Humiliation was her weapon!
It took a lot of work to reprogram the negative messages about self-love in my life.
I just love that Nadia GETS IT! And I know, with the support of her parents, she’ll keep it!
What are the messages about self-love you received in your life?
How did they affect you?
What would happen if you said “I love myself, too” each night before you went to sleep?
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- After 30 years of studying weight, health and fitness, I’ve developed this view on thin/fat/health. This is what... http://t.co/Qzkq5EoUbs about 1 hour ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- #Foodisenergy. Like gas for your car. How often do you think about gasoline or visiting the gas station? That’s... http://t.co/ooVZ9U6cH3 09:33:03 AM September 02, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I'm writing a response to this article which details our current Diet Mentality, which biologically and mentally... http://t.co/fckIirZlVM 11:59:44 AM September 01, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Harsh restrictions give the body the message that it is something to be “whipped” into shape, changed, altered,... http://t.co/27bRT1sztn 09:20:04 AM August 31, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The #body manufactures amazing amounts of fuel for us to do the things we love to do in life... Why I loved... http://t.co/cua3e9UCFe 09:15:02 AM August 28, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite