I just loved this story about the tiniest member of our family, Nadia. She’s three and you might remember her from this post:
Nadia’s mom recently reported on facebook that, after reading a bedtime book with Nadia, she told her daughter, “Goodnight. I love you.”
“Goodnight. I love myself, too.”
What a story! How many of us had the “love” beat out of us (metaphorically of course) by our parents when we exhibited self-love as children?
In my life, I was torn down whenever I was proud of my accomplishments, no matter how small. My father belittled my results or accomplishments. I remember coming home with all As except for one B on my report card and getting a VERY LONG lecture about how disappointed he was and how my stupidity was showing.
My mother used a different approach. She would make fun of me. The same report card brought a remark of “You think you’re so smart. You don’t know anything!” If I was hanging out with friends, she would imitate our giggling or laughing and tell us how silly we were. If I was dating someone, she’d find something wrong with the guy and make fun of him. Humiliation was her weapon!
It took a lot of work to reprogram the negative messages about self-love in my life.
I just love that Nadia GETS IT! And I know, with the support of her parents, she’ll keep it!
What are the messages about self-love you received in your life?
How did they affect you?
What would happen if you said “I love myself, too” each night before you went to sleep?
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- For years, I have asked my clients to avoid the (un)kind bars - sort of like Snickers putting "healthy" and... http://t.co/fC9bwwBZZa 01:55:55 PM April 17, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Not a destination... http://t.co/AzFEHrasQZ 09:15:02 AM April 17, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Why is self-love and self-care are important in #permanentweightloss.... http://t.co/tPL6F7D9zY 09:20:02 AM April 15, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Do you need more self-love? #loveyourself #weightloss http://t.co/Jufg6Jgljm http://t.co/12jnAmwvAO 09:15:03 AM April 13, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Why is trusting ourselves important to #PermanentWeightLoss? http://t.co/LaVzcSjMcK http://t.co/JfXfmUg5Z7 09:20:02 AM April 10, 2015 ReplyRetweetFavorite