I just loved this story about the tiniest member of our family, Nadia. She’s three and you might remember her from this post:
Nadia’s mom recently reported on facebook that, after reading a bedtime book with Nadia, she told her daughter, “Goodnight. I love you.”
“Goodnight. I love myself, too.”
What a story! How many of us had the “love” beat out of us (metaphorically of course) by our parents when we exhibited self-love as children?
In my life, I was torn down whenever I was proud of my accomplishments, no matter how small. My father belittled my results or accomplishments. I remember coming home with all As except for one B on my report card and getting a VERY LONG lecture about how disappointed he was and how my stupidity was showing.
My mother used a different approach. She would make fun of me. The same report card brought a remark of “You think you’re so smart. You don’t know anything!” If I was hanging out with friends, she would imitate our giggling or laughing and tell us how silly we were. If I was dating someone, she’d find something wrong with the guy and make fun of him. Humiliation was her weapon!
It took a lot of work to reprogram the negative messages about self-love in my life.
I just love that Nadia GETS IT! And I know, with the support of her parents, she’ll keep it!
What are the messages about self-love you received in your life?
How did they affect you?
What would happen if you said “I love myself, too” each night before you went to sleep?
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- Keep your mind strong. Feed it positive things. #loseweight #mindovermatter http://t.co/pkga8VnkQV about 39 minutes ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Addiction can’t be defined as simply a disease or any sort of moral issue. It’s emotional. And it’s deeply... http://t.co/BZb1D48qGo about 8 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Keep your mind strong. Feed it positive things. #loseweight #mindovermatter http://t.co/hNp5HS6H0x 09:25:03 AM September 29, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Don't give away your POWER by buying into this myth... #healthylife #loseweightpermanently What is it? ...... http://t.co/9T7Zm89yll 09:25:03 AM September 26, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Getting frustrated with your body’s natural weight loss rate is one of the most common sabotage points, and can... http://t.co/MbCRBNydkt 09:25:03 AM September 25, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite