So you realize its time to take your workouts to the next level in order to achieve your weight loss and fitness goals. Perhaps you’ve outgrown those dumbbells in your dusty basement or you are bored with your current workouts. Maybe the variety of exercise possibilities in a gym is a motivator.
Congratulations! Nothing burns fat quicker than more muscle. In the world of permanent weight loss, building muscle through weight lifting or resistance training is the best thing you can do for yourself.
Navigating the maze of equipment in a gym can be daunting; navigating the unwritten rules and unseen territory of other users’ workouts can be even more confusing. Many people find a gym, particularly the weight-lifting area, intimidating. Becoming comfortable quickly is important to your fitness progress. Here are a few tips to make your journey easier.
First of all, keep in mind the gym is a shared resource. The object is to have as much variety and equipment available as possible. That’s a plus for your workout. But, you also have to be mindful of others sharing the space.
It’s the start of another year. That means lots of new faces at the gym!
Why this is good: It’s boring to see the same people all the time. It’s great to have new energy infusing the place.
Why this is bad: Sometimes, those new faces behave badly!
Case in point: I was working out on New Year’s when I approached a pull-down cable machine. Yes, you can do numerous exercises on this piece of equipment. But not if other people are waiting!
Dude #1, using the equipment, must have noticed the seven exercises pictured on the front of the machine and decided to do them all, one after the other.
RULE #1 – No one has exclusive rights to any piece of equipment. Think “COOPERATION”!
So, after a couple of sets, it was obvious I was standing nearby, in the middle of the room because I was WAITING! He glanced at me and ignored me.
So, as he puffed through a set of (very poor form) overhead tricep extensions, I said: “Excuse me, I’m waiting to use that too. Is it OK if I work in?” Continue reading »
Continue reading »
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- One of the MOST important factors for Permanent Weightloss... #loseweight #permanentweightloss What's the other... http://t.co/bYgguJDSWd about 22 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- There's a yearning greater than weight loss. That is where you can find your freedom. Learn more about this at... http://t.co/uvnw1Gj4K2 07:25:02 AM September 12, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- "Cease the Violence!" This is one of the primary causes of weight re-gain... do you do it to yourself? Download... http://t.co/cRfywndEIe 07:25:03 AM September 11, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Get off the roller coaster and get on the driver's seat... take control back. Find out how at...... http://t.co/05BnMzGGlA 07:25:03 AM September 10, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Step out of the shadows... unhook from the collective consciousness of “the diet will fix" thinking. Discover... http://t.co/ntgAEhLNbC 07:25:03 AM September 09, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite