So you realize its time to take your workouts to the next level in order to achieve your weight loss and fitness goals. Perhaps you’ve outgrown those dumbbells in your dusty basement or you are bored with your current workouts. Maybe the variety of exercise possibilities in a gym is a motivator.
Congratulations! Nothing burns fat quicker than more muscle. In the world of permanent weight loss, building muscle through weight lifting or resistance training is the best thing you can do for yourself.
Navigating the maze of equipment in a gym can be daunting; navigating the unwritten rules and unseen territory of other users’ workouts can be even more confusing. Many people find a gym, particularly the weight-lifting area, intimidating. Becoming comfortable quickly is important to your fitness progress. Here are a few tips to make your journey easier.
First of all, keep in mind the gym is a shared resource. The object is to have as much variety and equipment available as possible. That’s a plus for your workout. But, you also have to be mindful of others sharing the space.
It’s the start of another year. That means lots of new faces at the gym!
Why this is good: It’s boring to see the same people all the time. It’s great to have new energy infusing the place.
Why this is bad: Sometimes, those new faces behave badly!
Case in point: I was working out on New Year’s when I approached a pull-down cable machine. Yes, you can do numerous exercises on this piece of equipment. But not if other people are waiting!
Dude #1, using the equipment, must have noticed the seven exercises pictured on the front of the machine and decided to do them all, one after the other.
RULE #1 – No one has exclusive rights to any piece of equipment. Think “COOPERATION”!
So, after a couple of sets, it was obvious I was standing nearby, in the middle of the room because I was WAITING! He glanced at me and ignored me.
So, as he puffed through a set of (very poor form) overhead tricep extensions, I said: “Excuse me, I’m waiting to use that too. Is it OK if I work in?” Continue reading »
Continue reading »
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- Remember... You have never failed at a diet. There's something MORE important. #weightloss #loseweight Read... http://t.co/y3x6pAAkFu about 4 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite
- We all know how to do this, if we stop and pay attention. We know how to treat ourselves with dignity.... http://t.co/7yfoa280IS 07:25:03 AM August 29, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- No. 2: Stop comparing! Comparison is unloving and unproductive. #permanentweightloss Find out the other 10... http://t.co/huQUbnJkvv 07:05:02 AM August 28, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The first key is knowing and understanding how our energy runs, how it influences actions, and how to attain... http://t.co/OaU4qHbQOo 07:25:04 AM August 27, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- When I look back at my weight loss... I see that what I ate was much less important than what was going on in my... http://t.co/hZrSUnPDqO 07:05:03 AM August 26, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite