So you realize its time to take your workouts to the next level in order to achieve your weight loss and fitness goals. Perhaps you’ve outgrown those dumbbells in your dusty basement or you are bored with your current workouts. Maybe the variety of exercise possibilities in a gym is a motivator.
Congratulations! Nothing burns fat quicker than more muscle. In the world of permanent weight loss, building muscle through weight lifting or resistance training is the best thing you can do for yourself.
Navigating the maze of equipment in a gym can be daunting; navigating the unwritten rules and unseen territory of other users’ workouts can be even more confusing. Many people find a gym, particularly the weight-lifting area, intimidating. Becoming comfortable quickly is important to your fitness progress. Here are a few tips to make your journey easier.
First of all, keep in mind the gym is a shared resource. The object is to have as much variety and equipment available as possible. That’s a plus for your workout. But, you also have to be mindful of others sharing the space.
It’s the start of another year. That means lots of new faces at the gym!
Why this is good: It’s boring to see the same people all the time. It’s great to have new energy infusing the place.
Why this is bad: Sometimes, those new faces behave badly!
Case in point: I was working out on New Year’s when I approached a pull-down cable machine. Yes, you can do numerous exercises on this piece of equipment. But not if other people are waiting!
Dude #1, using the equipment, must have noticed the seven exercises pictured on the front of the machine and decided to do them all, one after the other.
RULE #1 – No one has exclusive rights to any piece of equipment. Think “COOPERATION”!
So, after a couple of sets, it was obvious I was standing nearby, in the middle of the room because I was WAITING! He glanced at me and ignored me.
So, as he puffed through a set of (very poor form) overhead tricep extensions, I said: “Excuse me, I’m waiting to use that too. Is it OK if I work in?” Continue reading »
Continue reading »
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- YOU are worth it! #urworthit #permanentweightloss http://t.co/5MZHYJ1boJ 09:25:03 AM October 24, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Once you love yourself, you know you will love and love again... because you have to. #loveyourself... http://t.co/5QWJv7p6A5 09:25:03 AM October 23, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- We're not meant to be perfect people, we are to be fulfilled. #perfectionism #healthyweightloss http://t.co/AwEKfYKQD9 09:25:03 AM October 22, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- One of the most painful aspects of weight loss is weight regain. Watch this video where actor, Kevin James... http://t.co/jKoK1O38Py 09:25:03 AM October 21, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I wish you all the Wealth in life! #healthylifestyles #permanentweightloss http://t.co/5FwFTjroQR 09:25:02 AM October 20, 2014 ReplyRetweetFavorite