I witnessed violence at Starbucks last week.
Fists didn’t fly. No weapons were present. No blood.
But violence nevertheless.
When I arrived, I heard a terrible screaming and crying. A little girl – I would estimate her to be between two and three years old – was in a full-blown meltdown. If you’ve ever been around a child, you’ve heard that mix of scream and sob that sounds bigger than any adult can make.
The scene went on for over five minutes, but here’s part of what I saw:
Standing above her was her mother. Speaking loudly, almost yelling, she told her daughter, “Stop crying! Stop it now! You have no reason to cry. Stop it now! Right now. Right now. Stop it now!”
The little girl kept crying.
“You have to stop! Right now. Stop!”
“We’re going to go back inside. And you can have cookies. Do you hear me? We’ll get cookies, but you absolutely cannot have a cookie if you are still crying. We are going inside and you will stop NOW so you can have a cookie. You want a cookie, right?”
I can’t tell you how I was affected by this scene.
It’s not my purpose here to judge or criticize the mom. I was a mom and I know no one who stands outside can really understand the dynamics and pressure of dealing with a small child.
But there was never a moment when the mother comforted her daughter. There was never a gentle touch, a soft word, or a smile. There was no space for the little girl to vent, or process her feelings, or naturally let them play out. There was never any eye contact – the mom never even got down at the child’s level.
Here’s my point.
All of us looking to lose weight have a moment like this in our past (or many).
It’s a moment when we needed something – comfort, connection, love, acknowledgement – but we got a cookie instead. And that moment – where the connection was forged between the message – here it was “stop feeling what you feel” – and food.
In my experience healing my own addiction, and working with thousands of clients, that momentary connection is powerful, because it is practiced over and over throughout life – becoming a powerfully deep neural pathway in the brain and an automatic response.
What was your moment?
In order to leave food addiction behind, and attain permanent weight loss, we need to know that moment so we can heal it.
Subscribe by EmailGet new blog posts sent directly to your email!
Like Pat on Facebook!
Follow Pat on Twitter
- This looks like FUN!!! Would you try it? https://t.co/e1PcbeKLG4 09:47:47 AM January 24, 2018 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- I got such lovely messages on my work anniversary - 17 years as an independent life coach. One woman thanked me... https://t.co/ZC9Q4ilvyM 10:16:53 AM December 01, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Did you see the Catalyst newsletter Friday? It featured an article on Ending the Waiting Cycle and tips to plan... https://t.co/codgLeJ4Ay 08:33:12 AM November 13, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The connection between sexual harassment/assault and other sex crimes and excess weight. This week's LIVE report.... https://t.co/Kb3vuYItNJ 09:18:56 AM November 05, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite
- How do you fill yourself up with TRUE nourishment? https://t.co/QOJhSAotqj 08:45:52 AM October 23, 2017 ReplyRetweetFavorite